How to Clean Gold Jewelry?
Though gold does not easily tarnish, there is still the possibility that grime and dirt accumulate to make the jewelry dull and look tarnished. Gold jewelry needs to be properly maintained so that it shines beautifully every time you wear it. It is a simple process to keep your gold jewelry clean and you can do it on your own at home. Here we will introduce some effective methods for you to clean plain gold jewelry items.
Water and Soap( Method for Plain Gold Jewelry)
Using water and soap is the most effective cleaning method for you to clean gold jewelry at home. You might doubt " how could soap clean gold jewelry"? Yes, it is true. Water and soap works best on solid gold jewelry items which have no gemstones. Here is the steps to clean gold jewelry with soap and water:
- 1. Fill a bowl with warm clean water and add some mild soap.
- 2. Dip the gold jewelry item into the water.
- 3. Soaking the jewelry in water for 20 minutes.
- 4. Take the jewelry out and wipe it with a clean dry cloth.
This method will effectively eliminate the oils on the gold jewelry item which accumulate from daily wear. Why there are oils on the jewelry? Because you daily use beauty products and wash dishes. Water and soap method is a quick way to bring back the beauty of your gold jewelry without much hassle.
Clean Method for Gold Jewelry with Gemstone
It requires more care and steps to be done to clean gold jewelry which are mounted with gemstones. You should never submerge a gemstone gold jewelry into the water because the water can be trapped in the jewelry setting, thus causing discoloration or rust of the metal setting as well as cause the gems to fall out after some time. Use the following steps to clean gold jewelry with gemstones:
1. Fill a bowl with warm clean water and add some mild soap.
2. Moisten a clean try cloth with the mixture of water and soap.
3. Use the moistened cloth to clean the jewelry by rubbing gently over the gemstones and setting.
4. Repeat the step 2 and step 3 several times until you see the gold jewelry shine like new.
5. Try the jewelry with a clean try cloth.
Clean Gold Jewelry with Ammonia
Ammonia is wildly used to clean gold jewelry. You can also buy a small bag of ammonia to clean your gold jewelry items at home on your own. Though effective in removing grim and dirt, ammonia can also cause damage on jewelry. So it should be used cautiously with this method. Here is items needed and steps for this cleaning method:
1. A soft polishing cloth.
2. A small bowl.
3. Some water.
1. Combine a solution that is comprised of 1 part ammonia with 6 parts water in the bowl.
2. Soak your gold jewelry into the solution for around 1 minute.
3. Remove the cleaning solution by washing the jewelry under running water.
4. Dry your gold jewelry with a soft polish cloth.
5. Put the gold jewelry upside down so that it will air dry.
This method works for plain gold jewelry items as well as gold jewelry with gemstones. You can use a soft toothbrush or a toothpick to dip with the solution in order to clean the hard to reach spots on the jewelry. When rubbing, cleaning and washing, please remember to do it gently and slowly with patience and care. After following these methods you will not have any worry for gold jewelry cleaning. At GetPersonalizedJewelry store, we have gold necklaces, gold bracelets and earrings.